18 August 2011

Ode to Fillmore Spencer

Today is my last day of work.  Yesterday I had attorneys and coworkers ask me how it felt.  I responded by saying it was unreal.  It hadn't hit me and still hasn't.

In April of 2010 I was no longer to work at the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah.  They have a 3-year cap on all the teachers so my time was up.  I got a job there shortly after I returned home from my mission in December of 2006.  It was awesome every day as I was able to teach and train the missionaries in Spanish and learn from them as well.  I never had difficulty finding a job and when I was about to end at the MTC I thought this time would be no different, but I was wrong.

I was a new father, with little financial help from family and nearing the end of my college degree.  One week I applied to about 20 different jobs that I thought suited me well and I was rejected by ever one.

In July of 2010 I got a job doing PCI Compliance with Security Metrics.  It was a good job and a lifesaver for my current situation, but I was working the UK shift from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m. and quickly developing a mold allergy because of our old basement apartment so needless to say, I was miserable in many aspects of my life, especially the ones I hoped to love.

Towards the end of August my wife's cousin Brooke told me about an opening as a receptionist at Fillmore Spencer, a law firm in Provo.  I don't know what Kathy, the office manager, was thinking, but she hired me and I am so grateful.  I started to enjoy going to work.  I was inspired by the attorney's.  I felt like a key player in the firm as I directed calls and helped people find the right attorney.  It made me want to go to law school.  And to this day I still consider it a likely option.  After a few months there was an open position as a legal assistant working for Randy.  Because of my availability and Spanish skills I was a good fit.  I don't know if I would have gotten that job if it wasn't for the receptionist position.  Anyways, 8+ months later working as a Legal Assistant I have learned so much about so many things I never thought I would ever learn.  I could go on, but all I want to say is thank you to them.  Thank you to them for showing me greatness and thank you to them for helping me rise to a new level in my life.

Part of the reason I did this post is because I know many of the attorney's and paralegals will be reading this for the first time.  Allow me to include some links to different posts that will help explain things better.

The Proposal talks about how my decision to leave and chase my dream started to materialize.

This is how things are going is an explanation of what I'm doing and how it all came to be.

When there's a burning in your heart talks about what's going on inside of my heart and mind.

And if you do a search on the right side of my blog and search "14 Miracles" you'll see several posts of small miracles that began to happen when Amy and I decided to move to Idaho Falls and pursue my dream.

Love you guys.  Run Fearless.


1 comment: