30 July 2011

This is how things are going

For those of you reading for the first time, welcome.  For those returning, I also welcome you.  I had all of you in mind as I did this post.  A lot of people will ask me periodically, "How's the running going?" or "Are you still planning on going after the Olympics?" etc. and for those of you I have not told or for those of you I have kept less informed this is the latest on my running life:

On Father's Day I was with my father and we were talking about life.  I told him I wasn't excited about law school or the LSAT.  Even though I was feeling good about those things and they were going relatively well, I was just not at peace with myself and my choices.  My dad proceeded to ask me what I really wanted to do and I told him what I have always told him--that I wanted to run full-time, see what I could achieve with full-time training and not have any regrets.  He told me that he would be willing to house and feed me and my family for about a year and then I could do just that.

Well my wife, Amy, and I decided it probably wasn't a good choice for our family, but my dad suggested we do a pros and cons list for staying in Utah and moving to Idaho.  We did just that.  As we did, we realized a few things and began to feel surprisingly good about the idea of moving to Idaho despite all the reservations we previously had.  Then, as we moved forward with the idea, miracles began to happen that communicated, at least to us, that we were making the right choice. (I talk about these more in detail on my 14 Miracles part 1, part 2, part 3, and part 4.)

Today my father-in-law and I drove my parent's mini-van pulling a 5'x8' U-haul trailer to Idaho Falls at 5:30 in the morning, unloaded it with the help of neighbors and friends from the church, then we came back to Utah.  We'll be staying in Utah until the 18th of August, then going on vacation from the 19th to the 29th, then we will officially be living in Idaho Falls where I will work part-time and train full-time.

The main goal will be to achieve my potential and ten years from now be able to look back and not have any regrets whatsoever.  This is my passion, my dream, my goal and I am giving up almost everything to chase it while I'm still young.

I would be grateful for your support and there are many ways you can do it.  There's a Support and Sponsor! tab up there for more information on that, but the best thing is to spread the word and let people know.  I figure the more people that know about the goal the more support I will get, the prayers will be said and deep down inside I feel like I will be able to achieve my dreams.  If I do everything I have imagined since high school I will be at the Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon next year and running in the Olympic final(s) for the 5,000 meter and/or 10,000 meter.  Help me chase the dream.  Thanks.


4 comments: