03 July 2011

The Proposal

It happened on Father's Day of this year.  Amy and I found out that my family was coming down from Idaho Falls to visit my uncle and aunt.  We asked if we could meet them because we don't see them as often as we would like.  They said that would be fine.

I mentioned to my dad that I wanted a priesthood blessing because I was frustrated with my life.  He said he would, but he wanted to talk about things first which was fine.  He asked me, "Okay, so what do you really want to do with your life?"  I said, "Dad, you know what I want to do, we've talked about this several times--I want to run.  I want to run professionally and go to the Olympics.  That's been my goal since I was a kid and it still is."  My dad replied saying, "Okay, well why don't you and Amy move up to Idaho Falls and live with us.  We'll provide a place for you to live and food to eat.  You get a part-time job and train full-time.  then you'll be able to look back and not have any regrets."

Now this isn't the first time my dad has made this offer, but this was the first time Amy and I seriously considered the offer.  This was Sunday morning when I talked to my dad.  Monday night, Amy and I had decided we weren't going to do it, but by Tuesday night we started making pros and cons lists for staying in Utah and for moving to Idaho.  We hated to admit it, but Idaho won.  The reason why I hated to admit it was because I hated admitting that I couldn't really make something happen on my own, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that if I was ever going to make something happen with my dream, this was a good option.

Law school and LSAT study are not out of the picture.  I haven't given up on those things, BUT I will be 26 this month and I'm not getting any younger.  The time to seriously pursue my dream without any regrets is dwindling.  I know that if I don't do this then ten years down the road I will look back and say, "What if..."  and for right now, I never want to say that about my dream.  Especially about my dream that has outlasted all of my other dreams combined.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! If anyone can do this you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! If anyone can do it Caleb, you can! We will all be praying for you and cheering for you. Way to go live your dreams and be proud of it! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete