11 August 2011

The Beginning of Level 3: 400 Meters

It's currently 7:46 p.m. and I am getting ready to leave for my evening workout.  Today I decided to experiment and do my hard workout time trial in the evening.  I slept in a little this morning and went for an easy 30 minute run.  At 8:00 I will leave and go to the Maple Mountain High School track where I will do my first time trial for 400 meters.  I'm a little nervous; as if I was running a race, but I'll be the only one running.

Oh my goodness!  I am a happy man.  I ran fast and I am pleased with my time.  I ran 400 meters in 56.08. I arrived at the track around 8:20 p.m. and there were a lot of cars in the parking lot which was a little worrisome, but I wasn't to be deterred from my goal.  As I got closer to the track I saw a lot of young junior high/high school age guys.  I'm not going to lie, I started to panic.  How would I ever do an effective time trial when there were kids playing on the track?  I debated heading back to the house, getting in the car and driving to Springville High School, but I needed to get some water and use the bathroom so I decided to do that and see if it would clear up a little.  Well it did.  People were leaving.  A game had ended and by the time I had finished my light plyometrics there were only about 10 adults and kids left.  I'm glad I stayed.

My strategy was to go out fast for the first 100, cruise the backstretch and then bust it the last 200.  I pretty much did that, but felt myself tighten up and get tired the last 100 so I know where I'm weakest and I'm excited for a week from now

1 comment:

  1. I bet with some work, 55 is within reach. Once you hit 55 or 54, move on to the next level. You're doing great! You still rolling your IT band? What about your feet with a rolling pin or golf ball after those barefoot runs? Of course don't over do it cause you could make it worse, but it's good stuff. Sleep as much as possible. Don't forget about the veggies and fruits. They make great mid-meal snacks. Don't forget about your core strength: abs, obliques, and your back. When you're doing 400m repeats, it is more important to finish strong than startingn off strong. This is train your body effecient lactic acid removal. Again, I know I over say this, but work hard AND REST HARD! Never look back!

    ReplyDelete