27 August 2011

Gotta Tell You My Secrets

I just thought it would be good to tell you my secrets.  Now prepare yourself--I'm not going to tell you this to seem self-righteous or to pretend like I'm special, but it is one of my secrets that now will not be a secret because I'm telling you:

Scripture Study.  That's what it is.  Christmas 2008 I got a new set of scriptures.  I decided I was going to read the scriptures start to finish.  I started in Genesis and slowly made my way through the Old Testament.  Man there were some boring parts, and yes I admit to speed-reading through some of those genealogy sections and some, mind you some chapters in Isaiah, but overall it was awesome.  I found some incredible stories I had never heard of, inspiring scriptures I had never read before and gained a further testimony that the Bible, specifically the Old Testament, is the word of God.

Now I'm in Luke, New Testament.  I think I'm enjoying reading about Jesus more than any other time in my life.  Something specific I learned about Jesus is that Jesus never gave up.  He had a clear vision of His purpose and moved forward with perfect faith.  He encountered many obstacles, but He never gave in, and NO ONE could stop Him.  Even though they thought they were stopping Him, they were following the plan exactly.  Jesus is the Savior and Redeemer of the world.

After I finish the New Testament I will then read the Book of Mormon, then the Doctrine and Covenants, then the Pearl of Great Price... and then I don't know what I'll do, but I'm confident that I'll find a great way to study my scriptures.

It's one of the things I do everyday.  It accompanies prayer.  It is one of my daily devotions to God.  It is a way I show God that I want his help, that I'm trying to do my part to deserve the blessings He has prepared for me and lastly it's one of the best ways I know to know the mind and will of God.  That's why I do it.

And I wanted to add this video:



No comments:

Post a Comment