24 August 2011

My First Ever Cement Track

You'll have to forgive me.  Life has been pretty crazy, relatively speaking.  Right now my wife and I (and my parents and brothers and sisters and brother-in-law) are in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  My sister and brother-in-law live here where they go to school nearby.  My brother-in-law is going to dental school and he'll graduate next Spring and my sister is graduating this week from the nursing program which is the reason why we're here.

I can't really remember the last time I took a true, true vacation where I wasn't very worried about things and could relax and just kick back.  Part/most of that is due to the fact that I'm in child mode because I'm with my parents and siblings like the good-old days when we were younger.  Anyways, I definitely have more responsibilities now, but it's really nice to have several people who haven't spent a lot of time with Kimball, my son, and are happy and willing to play with him.  It's nice that he's happy, they're happy, we're happy etc.

We've gone to the beach pretty regularly.  It's the first time in my life that I have gone to a beach and the ocean water has been warm.  It was kind of weird at first, but I love it.  Because of the lack of body fat I have I get cold pretty easy and I like going to the beach, but when it comes to cold water, I can only do so long before I start shivering and have to take a break.  Anyways, we saw some alligators which was pretty cool.  Yesterday we went to Disneyworld which was wonderful, especially with the little guy, but at the same time it was really fun to revisit places I had gone to at Disneyland as a kid like Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and especially Pirates of the Caribbean.  Today we went to the beach and almost all of us were stung by jellyfish--just minor stings, kind of like being pricked by little needles, but then it went away after a little.

Alright, now to the cement track part.  I wanted to go to a track because I thought I would run a fast 400 meter at sea-level. I found two.  Stranahan High School and St. Thomas Aquinas High School.  Aquinas had a big fence around it that I saw from Google Maps, and Stranahan looked a little lower key, but it looked fine from Google.  Anyways, so my dad and I went to the track Monday morning and when we saw it it looked okay, but then we stepped on it.  Definitely cement.  I know, I should have gotten some authentic footage with the Flip, but I didn't so you'll just have to believe me and besides would I lie about something like that?  Answer: For those if you who don't know me, I wouldn't because I'm pretty dang honest.

So back to the track.  Cement for reals.  And I'm trying to figure out what to do, so I decide to just go with it.  I wasn't about to use my spikes.  I think that would have done more harm than good, but I warmed up, which wasn't hard because it was super humid.  I went running Saturday morning to the beach and sweat more than I had ever sweat IN MY LIFE I'm pretty sure.  I don't know if ever before that I had ever managed to get my whole shirt soaking wet.  So I did the 400 and it was semi-respectable 58.  Nothing special.  I felt very tired.  Jet-lagged, but that's good training for the future!  I think the track was 50+ years old, in the ghetto.  Kids going to school for their first day, yelling as I ran by.  Not my ideal time-trial conditions, but hey, gotta get used to anything and everything.  That's all for now.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment