15 August 2011

I Wept and I Raced

I'm going to make this short and sweet, because it is short and sweet.

When I found out that the Salem City Days 5K had a $50 cash prize I was in.  I small race, probably not very many fast people, I could make up my entry fee and boost my confidence.  I planned on winning.  I prayed that I would be able to run my fastest time yet and I figured that if I could do that I would win it.  Deep down inside I was praying to win.

This race was different than my last race which was my craziest pre-race experience yet.  I actually was able to go to the bathroom, get a good warm-up and I had time to think.  Well, about 15 minutes before the race I was praying again and while I was praying, for whatever reason I realized I was being selfish.  I thought about the innocent people in London who were suffering and who had died.  I began to weep.  I was not crying, this was powerful, this was weeping.  So I asked God to give them whatever blessing He was planning on giving me.  It was a very special experience and I share it with you.

The race was great, my time was fine.  Nothing special, but a great experience.  I think I was still feeling a little tired from my 400 meter time trial Thursday night.  But the result was a 4th place overall finish and a 17:38 PR.

Today I went running and felt very good.  I have no regrets and I will never look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment