25 August 2010

When I Dream About the Future of the Barefoot Race(s)

These are just some thoughts I've been having recently and they are a bit random and all over the place, but they have to do with The Barefoot Race series and where I see these races going in the near and distant future...

August 7th, 2010 marked an historic day in the history of Utah Valley, maybe even Utah State, barefoot running and racing. It was the first annual or semi-annual or something like that of The Barefoot Race 5K Run and Walk. It was a 5K (3.1 mile) race around Kiwanis Park in Provo, UT where every single participant was barefoot and over $200 was raised for children's cancer research.

I want to quadruple that next year. Not the amount of money but the amount of races. Yeah, tell me I'm crazy. Okay, tell me it's not reasonable and I'll tell you "What?! Oh yeah it is!" Here's the plan:
(I'm putting the plan in bullet points because I'm addicted...to bullet points:)
  1. Hold 4 barefoot races: Race 1 April 9th, 2010; Race 2 May 21st, 2010; Race 3 July 16th, 2010; and Race 4 September 10th, 2010.
  2. Have two of the races during semesters so as to maximize the amount of participants drawing from BYU specifically and of course UVU.
  3. I think with enough advertising and good sponsor etc. we could get anywhere from 300-600 runners at each race.
  4. Maybe, and I JUST thought of this, set a Guinness Book of World Records for the largest barefoot race ever of all time and forever!
  5. Okay, then the race in September would be The Barefoot Race Series World Championships (who says we can't have a world championships, and maybe we could even get a USATF or IAAF sanction, still figuring out the logistics.)
  6. Oh yeah, and the race series would be called The Barefoot Race Series or The Barefoot Race World Cup, except if we did that then we would probably need races all over the world. Maybe The Barefoot Race UV (Utah Valley) Cup... okay, moving on...
  7. That's about all I have
This gets me excited, that's why I'm certain that this is the direction that I want to be heading and that's how I run fearless. Check it.

1 comment:

  1. I like it! All it takes is a little initiative! Long Live Run Fearless!

    ReplyDelete