09 August 2010

Reflections On The Barefoot Race


Now that I've had time to let it all sink in, I think I'm ready to post on how I think it went, things that went well and things that could have gone better.

Overall I have positive and fond memories of the race. Every single runner ran barefoot and that was cool. Shannon Banks, one of several who really helped, arrived right after the race started and said that it was an inspiring sight to see a group of runners all running barefoot. Some people had emailed me about running with shoes because they didn't feel comfortable running shoeless, but in the end everyone ran barefoot.

Nobody got injured, at least to my knowledge. Maybe I should have asked, but no one was limping, crying, whining etc. so I think that was great.

We had a good mix of people/ My family came and thank goodness or we wouldn't have raised as much money. I family of friends from Idaho came and they ended up taking the first place mens and womens spots. Former MTC teaching companions came along with former missionaries that I had taught in the MTC. Then there were people from my home-town in Vancouver, Washington down here for school that came and last but not least there were several people I didn't even know and had never met (I guess those go hand in hand don't they:) who showed up and impressed me. So cool.

I definitely could have been more prepared. I was scrambling at the last minute to get safety pins for the race numbers. I also waited until the last minute to reserve the pavillion at the park. Luckily Shannon helped get the food and a sponsor or I know for a fact there would have been NO sponsor nor food there. I would have been sweet to have had a gun for the start--it was just me yelling "go!" and then being the rabbit. The white lines on the ground were as weak sauce as any sauce can be. I'm surprised more people didn't get mixed up on the course...

BUT! on the other hand we raised $200+ for children's cancer research, which will maybe pay for a few beakers or a microscope battery, but it's still $200 more than they would have had and I think even a little bit counts. I had a lady out of nowhere approach me and ask when we were going to do this again so we have at least one returning participant for next year.

Overall I think I learned some extremely valuable lesson and gained invaluable experience that I could not have gained any other way. I found out that I like putting on races and that barefoot races at big parks is something I especially like and something I think could become HUGE!

I'm thinking 2 or more barefoot races next year, but here's what I'm really thinking-- A barefoot racing series where April, May, June, July and August are races leading up to the championship race in September. Each race is a different venue/park in Provo/Orem like Kiwanis, the Park by Timpview High School, Rock Canyon Park, the Scera Park in Orem and I bet there's more in Orem I don't even know of. With more time and advertising and students and hype and build up and EVERYTHING I see this snowballing, like Jarom said on the Facebook page, and becoming something huge. This may even be something I could make a living, or part of a living. This next April I plan on the proceeds going to GiveOneMillion again, but after that, I haven't decided... Sky's the limit baby!

This is how I'm running fearless, watch

5 comments:

  1. Learning is a good thing. And next time it will be twice as good because now you know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to add that we also had FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Caleb for doing this! I wish I could have been there but I made some phone calls, hopefully some of my friends were in attendance. It's good to read your evaluation. It means a lot to David and I that you are willing to go to the effort to help St. Jude. Good Work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a great ideal to do this every year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys, I appreciate all your comments.

    ReplyDelete