11 August 2010

Changing The Way I Ask Has Made All The Difference

I believe this is post #100, that's pretty cool and notable. Let's have a blog party. Okay, that was kind of a lame party, no dancing, no food and no face-to-face interaction. No more blog parties. I don't know when it was that I discovered what I'm about to share, but it has changed the way I do a lot of things and has provided many answers. I will share my experience, then examples from my life then I will apply it to you. Sound good? Alright!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever since I learned how to pray and ask in general I would ask for something. I would ask my parents for things like a child does. I would ask Heavenly Father*(see footnote at bottom) to help me do or be certain things. For example I would say, "Help me remember everything I have studied so I can do well on this test." At races or rather before races I would ask Him to help me run my best, to give me energy and if it was His will to allow me to win. I believe He answered my prayers to the best of His ability. There were other things I would ask Him for like a stronger testimony or comfort when I was feeling scared, nervous or sad. I still ask for these things and my requests are similar, but there was a change in the way I asked and I'm not only talking about being sincere I'm talking about the words I used.

There's a scripture in the New Testament that's famous in the Mormon world because of Joseph Smith. It's James 1:5 and it goes like this, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." Or in other words if you want wisdom then ask God, or in a more general sense if you want something then ask God.

One day it occurred to me that I could ask in another way. I started to ask God to show me how to do or be something in addition to asking for Him to help me do or be something. For example, in addition to saying, "Please help me to get a good grade on this test" I would ask "Heavenly Father, please show me how to get a good grade on this test." In addition to saying "Help me become the best runner in the world" I asked "Show me how to become the best runner in the world." He has since shown me and I have since done, and continue to do.

This can apply to a lot of different things. For example, "Help me get a good job" can transform into "Show me how to get a good job." "Help me to be happy" can transform into "Show me how to be happy." "Help me develop greater faith" can transform into "Show me how I can develop greater faith."

Now I am not suggesting you stop asking the first question/request. What I am suggesting is that I have had success in adding to the way that I ask and it has changed my life. It has seriously helped me to learn how to run fearless. I hope it can help you too.

*You may not believe in God, so prayer to Him may not mean a whole lot to you. You may not believe in a supreme being. I believe that if you ask, your questions will be answered. These principles apply not only to the believers but to all who seek answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment