30 August 2010

Day 1: BYU Cross Country

I apologize that I haven't posted for a few days. Some of the things that are helping me to run fearless are also taking up my time and even though the blog has suffered life is so good!

Today was the first day at my new job as a receptionist at a law firm here in Provo. I loved it. Then I came home, took care of the baby while my wife went off to class for day 1 of BYU classes. I met her on campus 60 minutes later, did a sweet hand-off with the baby and went to Cross Country. From 2:15 to 3:15 there was a big team meeting with both guys from Cross Country and Track & Field.

Then it was off to the intramural field for repeat 1000s. It was so cool. I was side-by-side with Ed Eyestone and that was probably one of the coolest things. Former Olympian and NCAA Champion in his day he coaches one of the finest teams in the nation. Then there were the runners. All different shapes and sizes. Some were tall and skinny, others short and more built. Some look like they had been starved while others looked like they had eaten very well for the past few months. So if you blame not having the right body type for not being a runner stop now. Some of the best runners on the team and in the world are about 5' 5" and have a little more meat on their bones than the skinny runners.

The men's team had just gone to camp so they were sporting some new Nike shoes. They had some sweet flats and spikes they wore for the workout. Some had chosen a light green color while others had chosen a florescent orange like the color you see for hunting--In your face orange is what I call it. Oh yeah, they were sweet.

The team did 7-8 x 1000 meters at about 3 minutes and 10 seconds with one minute rest in between. As I watched and observed it didn't seem too hard and a lot of the guys were struggling. Later on this evening I went and did the same workout and it was killer! Man it hurt and my times per kilometer repeat just got slower and slower. I was running alone and I was embarrassed.

Overall it was an incredible experience and I'm glad to have it as part of my schooling here at BYU. I graduate this December and this internship is a perfect way to end my college career. BYU Cross Country is helping me run fearless.

1 comment: