12 August 2010

If You're Getting Overwhelmed Pick A Point

I'm at work right now. I just clocked out. My wife suggested I do the post before I come home from work. I think her idea is genius, my wife is a genius. That's why I married her. The idea for this point came from my run on Monday.

Recently I've been feeling tired. Compared to some people I'm probably not that tired, but for me, I'm tired. Running home on Monday was something I wasn't looking forward to doing. I planned on doing a fartlek, but I was just tired. So I gave myself permission.

I told myself that I didn't have to go all out, that I would start out slow and then speed up if I felt like it. My mind liked this idea and I started. There were a few times when I would be running fast and I would want to stop. I was getting overwhelmed by the task of running home when I wasn't even a quarter of the way there. That's when it occurred to me that I could pick a point.

I picked telephone poles, intersections, cars, anything and I would say, "For this speed-surge just make it to the _________." That made it manageable. I think when we think about everything we have to do for the rest of our lives it may get overwhelming. When I think about running tomorrow morning at 3:50 a.m. I am daunted by the task, but I pick a point and reach it. Then I pick another point and reach it and before long I have arrived.

I know that was pretty general, but it's something that helps me run fearless.

1 comment: