16 August 2010

Act As If



"Believe and act as if it were impossible to fail." -Charles F. Kettering

"To fly as fast as thought, to be anywhere there is, you must first begin by knowing that you have already arrived." -Richard Bach

Success Principle #12 is Act As If and the principle behind it is acting as if you are already where you want to be. The example in the book points out a young man who was a bank teller. He would always wear a suit and tie whereas the others just wore a shirt and tie. The young man wearing a suit and tie looked like an executive which is where he eventually ended up. He was acting as if and that, along with other things like hard work etc., took him there.

Quoting from the book a principle I believe in: "The Law of Attraction simply states that like attracts like. The more you create the vibration--the mental and emotional states--of already having something, the faster you attract it to you. This is an immutable law of the universe and critical to accelerating your rate of success."

Now I haven't figured out exactly how to do this, but I know I need to print off some pictures that illustrate where I want to be and then imagine myself there having done those things like winning a race at the London Summer Olympics 2012 or a photo shop picture of me in a BYU uniform for Cross Country etc. Okay, yep, just thought of that and I will do that. Genius.

The last thing I'll share is "The Party That Could Change Your Life" which is a "Come As If" party. You get a group of friends together and you tell them to come as they will be in 2015 for example and then you come acting as if you have done everything you wanted to do during those next five years. For example I would come to the party probably wearing a suit. I would have my spikes that I ran my gold medal winning race in draped over my right shoulder. I'd be wearing my best tie, white shirt, shoes shined. I would have an autographed copy of the book I had written that had sold a million copies, and I would have a picture of the training facility that I was building for runners including beginner to elite runners. I would have 3 gold medals hanging from my neck and the contract I had signed with Nike for the five-year sponsorship of $150,000 a year. I know, pretty cool and really fun.

Anyways, I need to do better at acting as if, but it's a key to running, living and being fearless I'm sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment