30 July 2010

A New Secret To Motivation: The Self-Interview

I thought I would tell you something I've been doing in the past few days that has been really cool and maybe I'm on to something or maybe I'm not and maybe I'm onto something for myself and not for anyone else or maybe I'm just crazy.

Going running at 4:00 a.m. can be a little lonely. It's dark. No one's around. The cars are few. Sometimes I'll see teenagers driving fast, or an early morning worker driving to work. One time I saw this ten year-old kid riding his Razor scooter really fast--it was 4:10 in the morning, what the heck was he doing?!

Anyways, a few days ago I started interviewing myself. I pretended I was on a talk show like a sports show or a talk show. Always it's in response to the great running that I'm doing and how I'm suprising a lot of people because it's like I came out of nowhere and won these big-time races. Today Runner's World interviewed me.

I ask the question as if I'm them, then I answer as me. The questions I ask myself are questions like...
  1. To what do you attribute your success?
  2. When did you start running and why?
  3. What are your plans for the future?
  4. What was your strategy during this particular race?
  5. What's it like becoming so fast...so fast?
And the list goes on. I really like this. It's very encouraging and motivating to me and what's better than that when you're running 15.5 miles a day. Interviewing myself helps me run fearless. Try it.

3 comments:

  1. You are definitely crazy.....and you're probably onto something as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me laugh. And yes I'm absolutely going to do it. I do stuff like this a lot, so it struck a chord with me. It's like when girls are little and they practice their academy award / oscar / nobel prize winning speaches into their shampoo bottles in the shower. Except even better than that. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete