19 July 2010

Free Yourself


It feels good to be free. I have felt really good in the past two days and I think it's because I'm free. Remember Wednesday I got an injury and that caused me to reflect and think as I talked about in my post on Friday. I thought of things in my life that I wanted to change to become better and I changed. Call it what you like, but I call it repentance.

I think the word "repentance" can sometimes have a stigma attached to it. I think it's something we tend to avoid if we can, or we try to live in such a way that we don't have to ever do it. The thing is that we all do things we shouldn't. From the words of a Coldplay song, "It doesn't matter who you are" we all do dumb things, or we fool ourselves into thinking that we can get away with doing something naughty, or that it only affects us personally when that is never the case because we always affect others and the list goes on. This knowledge comes from things that I've done, don't think I'm some perfect kid, BUT do think think that Caleb Scoville is trying hard every day to master himself because that is true.

Anyways, there are 5 steps to repentance from what I've read, experienced and practiced (there are other ways to explain/teach, but this one works for me and it's pretty basic, not full of details, enjoy):
  1. Recognition (Recognize that it is/was wrong)
  2. Confession (to the Supreme Being, God, and to injured parties)
  3. Godly sorrow (feeling how God feels or at least trying)
  4. Restitution (apologizing, paying back)
  5. Living righteously (Never doing what you did again/to the best of your ability)
So the point of all this is that since Wednesday when my repentance started I have felt free. I have felt so happy. I have felt so good. I know it is because repentance equals freedom. It helps me to run fearless.

No comments:

Post a Comment