26 July 2010

I saw lightning and heard thunder today


When I went on my brunch break at 10 a.m. it was hot outside. I was dreading my run home from work because I thought it was going to be really warm outside. When 2:00 rolled around and I went outside I realized that it was overcast and it wasn't that warm. I began to run home.

Because I had left a little later than I wanted to I decided to turn today's run into a fartlek where I ran 1 minute hard then 4 minutes easy alternating back and forth for the whole 6.75 miles home. It turned out really good and was really a great workout.

As I came closer and closer to my house I saw the sky turn darker. Then I saw the lightning. I love lightning. I think it's SO cool. I love catching it with my eyes because for so long growing up I never saw the actual bolt. I always saw the light from the bolt, but never the bolt itself. So I love to catch it. I love to count and see how far away it is. I believe the rule of thumb (or maybe it's the rule of science:) is that from when you see the lighting to when you hear the thunder for however many seconds you count that's how many miles away it is (or is it seconds between thunder? I think it's between lightning and thunder. How does it work in Europe? Because we use miles, but you guys use kilometers...)

I was planning on running an extra 2 miles around the park when I got home, but I thought that if the lightning was too close I would forego that plan. Then the light rain started and that was heaven sent. It felt so good and took my back to Vancouver, Washington where much of my training growing up was done in the rain. The lightning never got too close and I ran at the park barefoot as the rain really started the come down.

Great workout. Cool run in the weather. Good distance. I am happy. Run fearless everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment