28 July 2010

(BSRF) The Boy Scouts of Run Fearless


This will be short because it's late and I need to sleep, but I want to write and there will probably be more on the subject of Boy Scouts because it really is something that has helped me become that person I am today.

I am an Assistant Scout Master. That's what I have been assigned to within my church unit. Specifically I am with the eleven-year-old scouts as they transition from Cub Scouts into Boy Scouts. Every Wednesday night I meet with them from 7-8:30 p.m. and we do fun things and we pass off requirements as they head in the direction of the Eagle Scout.

I am an Eagle Scout. I did Boy Scouts all growing up. Some experiences were good and others not so good. For example, camping in the Pacific Northwest, which is where I grew up, is not as fun as somewhere where it's dry. Somehow we managed to pick a lot of rainy nights to camp and part of that could be because it rained a lot. I really like the rain, but not to camp in.

On the other hand I really liked scouts. I learned a ton of things. I feel like I could prepare for and go live in the wilderness and be just fine. Boy Scouts was like another school. Each merit badge had/has a specific purpose--Each is like a class or a series of classes you take. There are certain merit badges you're required to earn and others you can take because you want to.

The culminating activity is earning the Eagle Scout. To earn it you have to earn a certain amount of merit badges, have served in leadership positions within the troop and you must have done a worthwhile project that stretches you and shows the leadership qualities that you have developed along the way.

Boy Scouts is something that has helped me learn how to run fearless. I am grateful for those that helped me along the way and I'm grateful to the Scouting program for how great it truly is. Run fearless.

No comments:

Post a Comment