21 July 2010

The man is getting older and he still wakes up at 5:30 a.m. to run


There is a man and his name is Haile Gebrselassie and he's one of my heroes. Currently he holds the world record in the marathon and he's help several others along with several gold medals and the list goes on. I read one of his biographies, unless there's only one, then I read it. Inspiring. He won a gold medal in the 10,000 meter run in with an Achilles injury. I couldn't even barely make it through 6.75 miles running slow and this guy was racing!

In an article I read at http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/athletics/2010/07/14/haile-storm-115875-22411607/ I learned that he gets up at 5:30 a.m. every morning to run. He's running 160 miles a week. That's every week, and here I am struggling to hit 70. Now for the amazing part, he's 37 years old and he's doing that. Inspiring.

Haile Gebrselassie is an example to me of what it means to run fearless.

2 comments:

  1. Uh-oh. If he's getting older, at 43, I wonder what I am. Age is relative. I used to think over 40 was old, now I think 70 is old. Haha. But, your posts inspire me Caleb. A couple of times a week I go wogging. That is, walk a little, jog a little. And I think, some day I might be able to get back to full fledged jogging. And maybe get healthier in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 37 is not old, by the way....I get up at 5:00 to run, but there's no way I will EVER log 160 miles a week. Unless I were PAID A LOT OF MONEY to do so. When you get paid to run, and don't have to balance a job (not to mention family, church, etc.) then maybe you'll be able to fit in 160 miles a week, too. Don't be so hard on yourself. In my mind, 70 miles is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete