22 June 2010

Unleash the Power of Goal-Setting

"If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes." -Andrew Carnegie. This quote is inspiring to me. I don't think that happiness come solely through goal-setting, but I do know that when I come up with an incredible goal it is one of the most exciting things in my life.

This post is based on Principle 7 from Jack Canfield's book The Success Principles called Unleash the Power of Goal-Setting. I will sum up the principles, quote some of the quotes, tell you how I've applied it in my life and encourage you to do the same.

"...the brain is a goal-seeking organism. Whatever you give to your subconscious mind, it will work night and day to achieve." This is what the chapter starts out teaching. Canfield explains that in order to unleash the power of goal-setting that a goal must have two major/main components: 1. How much and 2. By when. (Look to the next paragraph for my examples.) Put the goal in detail. Create a goal that by accomplishing would really be "a quantum leap for you and your career" or life. Read your goals 3 times each day, visualizing them as if you have already accomplished them. Carry your most important goal around in your wallet. Set a ton of goals and start right away.

"If you are bored with life, if you don't get up every morning with a burning desire to do things--you don't have enough goals." -Lou Holtz

Here's my take and application. Check it. How much by when is our criteria so here are some of my goals as examples:
  1. I will run 4 miles in 19:35 by 3:00 p.m. in Provo, UT on September 4th, 2010 Saturday. (This goal is also one of my breakthrough goals because if I can do this then I will for sure make the BYU Cross-Country team and it will springboard me forward into the collegiate running scene)
  2. I will run 10k in 28:30 by 3:00 p.m. in Terre Haute, Indiana on November 22nd, 2010 Saturday. (Which I figure is fast enough to win the NCAA D-1 championships provided that Sam Chelanga and David McNeill don't get a ton faster.)
I really believe that once we really get specific with what we want, then set a specific goal to get there, reading it every day and working so hard to get it that our mind will figure out a way to accomplish it. Our energy will pull other opportunities into our path so that we can accomplish what we want. Let me give you an example:

I have discovered that in order to become the best runner in the world I need to run more. 100 miles per week would be a great start. The best Kenyans are doing three workouts a day. I want to be the best so bad that I'm willing to do that, but I didn't know how it would be possible. I was only doing two workouts and stressed out about finding a job a providing for my family. Then I got a job about 7 miles away. Yesterday I rode my bike to work and back: 14 miles total. I did 4 workouts yesterday: 1 in the early morning, another to work, another home from work and another run in the evening. It is perfect for me and my situation and I'm getting exactly what I've been wanting.

I encourage you to figure out what you want. Read my post on Be Clear Why You're Here and Decide What You Want and then set specific goals accordingly. Read them 3 times a day and figure out how to accomplish them. I know you can do it. I know you can do it. This is not an error, I know I am typing this three time, I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT! You can and you will if you want it bad enough and if you do what your heart tells you (as cheesey as that may sound.) Have a great day and live fearless!

1 comment: