30 June 2010

Success Leaves Clues

Once you have figured out what you want to do chances are that someone before you has already done it. They have left clues behind and by finding those clues you can then start making adjustments, improvements and changes in order to accomplish you goals and dreams.

Success Leaves Clues is the title of Jack Canfield's Success Principle #9. He states that there are several reasons we don't seek out clues and they are the following:
  1. It never occurs to us.
  2. It's inconvenient.
  3. Asking others for advice or information puts us up against our fear of rejection.
  4. It usually involves change and we don't like change.
  5. It usually means hard work and we don't really like to work that hard.
The he makes 3 suggestions on what we need to do:
  1. Seek out a teacher, coach, mentor, manual, book etc. that will help you achieve your goal(s).
  2. Seek out someone who has already done what you want to do.
  3. Ask someone of you can shadow them for a day and watch them work.
For me personally books have been powerful. Last year I was in an exercise rut. Triathlons were going well, but I wasn't feeling joy while doing them, I wasn't really having fun. Then I friend (Gian) recommended the book Born to Run which totally blew my running paradigm and was a powerful tool in digging me out of my rut. The Greatest which is one of the biographies on Haile Gebrselassie was motivating and helpful. Then most recently for Christmas my in-laws got me a book I had asked for called More Fire: How to Run the Kenyan Way and that was what has been the best as far as success leaving clues.

Indisputably the Kenyans are the greatest long distance runners ever and you could say middle distance too. They dominate. Ethiopians are also up there especially with Kenenisa Bekele and Haile Gebrselassie. So this book More Fire had training plans for what the Kenyans either do or used to do. I started doing that and I've had some great short-term results. We'll see what happens long-term.

I invite you, if you have dreams, to dream first of all and make goals. When you have that then start looking for the people that have done what you want to do. They're out there. You just gotta find them, if you want it. Run fearless, okay?

1 comment:

  1. Caleb, that looks like the race we watched toward the beginning of your freshman year????

    ReplyDelete