09 June 2010

NCAA Track and Field National Championships start today!

If you're a runner, and even if you're not, then you have to follow the NCAA Track and Field National Championships which start today at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon. I don't know all the information nor do I know all the names of the top athletes, but I'm excited and you can follow the results at NCAA Live Results site.

Today we got part of the Women's Heptathlon, Men's Discus and Triple Jump, Women's High Jump and Discus. We got prelims for the following men and women: 400 m relay, 800 m, 400 m, 100 m, 400 m hurdles and only men for the 3,000 m Steeplechase. There is a final and that will be the Women's 10,000 m run which I'm excited to see.

Some of you may be wondering what is included in the Women's Heptathlon. If you're not wondering, then it's just me and this post is just for me. But if you're curious too then keep reading...

Women's Heptathlon: 100 m hurdles, high jump, shot put, 200 m dash, long jump, javelin throw and a nice 800 m race to top it off. Pretty intense in my opinion. A certain amount of points is awarded to the athlete depending on her performance. (For a more complete explanation go to the Heptathlon page at Wikipedia.) The athlete with the most points after the final event is the winner. If I understand correctly (and please correct me in the comments if I'm wrong) an athlete may win the 800 m run and then the points are totaled up and then after waiting a while the winner is announced. Many events in track you know who the winner is almost immediately, unless there's a photo finish, a disqualification or they're measuring the distance of a jump or throw. Cool.

People who do heptathlons, they know how to run fearless. That's all I have to say, hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment