04 June 2010

How do I get motivated about running?

This is a question I got from another friend and she says the following: "I do enjoy running, but lately I have found quite a bit of lack of motivation to run lately. Any advice? I use to run in cross country in high school and I loved every minute of it but now I'm having a hard time keeping the motivation to run without my friends around. :("

This will be similar to the post two days ago Breaking through the running wall, so check that out because there's a lot of carry over. Also check out the comments in that post, especially the one from my friend in Sweden who gave an INCREDIBLE reply, check it out! What I mean by it being similar is that there's a lot of carry over, but this post will have some additional things that apply more towards motivation. Here are my ideas and once again if anybody out there has any additional ideas please feel free to share!

  1. Make a goal and stick to it.
  2. Post the goal all over the house, specifically in places you'll see it.
  3. Sign up for a race. Knowing that a race is coming up, like a 5k, 10k etc. is motivating for me. I know that when I race I want to 1. Be at my best and 2. Be able to run the fastest I possibly can.
  4. Get a cool running poster, or just buy an issue of Runner's World or Running Times and cut out a bunch of pages and make a motivational collage.
  5. Ask people to run with you. Now is the time to get out of your comfort zone and look for people to run with. I guarantee you are not the only person lacking motivation and friends to be able to run--You just have to find those people. Facebook can be a waste of time, but it can also be used as a powerful tool to make your dreams come true and accomplish your goals.
  6. Music is motivating (like I said in the previous post, 2 days ago). Put some of your favorite songs on your MP3/iPod and get going!
  7. Just get out the door. For some people this works, for others it doesn't, but I think it's worth a shot. Just get out the door. Set out your clothes and shoes the night before, wake up, put them on as fast as possible and then just get out the door. I think those first few steps are some of the hardest, so just get out the door and start running.
  8. Write down all the different workouts you can do on separate pieces of paper, then the morning of pick out a piece and do that workout. Surprise can be motivating and exciting.
  9. Watch a good running movie. This site has great running movies.
  10. Watch some running clips on YouTube or at CompleteRunning.com
  11. My last piece of advice is to read this blog every single day!
There are many more things to be said, and more that needs to be discovered. For now this is good enough for me and I invite you, my friend, to Run Fearless!

(Returning and reporting yesterday's workout: 30 min. run; 58 min. Tempo run, 20 min. easy warm-up, 30 min. race pace. 8 min. cool-down)

1 comment:

  1. Dad likes #3---signing up for a race. We're going to try to do the "Scenic River Run" in Idaho Falls in two weeks! I will be walking of course.

    ReplyDelete