19 June 2010

Perfect Weather, Perfect Race, Tired Boy

Okay, I'm just going to unload my whole brain about today and tell you everything that happened and we'll start with this morning and go 'til right now...

Got up. 6.5 hours of sleep. They say two nights before the race is the most important so that was my best night for sleep. Woke up at 5:20, prayed, ate (half a grapefruit and a bowl of oatmeal with agave), read scriptures (New Testament, Matthew 8) then woke my wife up. Then we left.

Arrived in Pleasant grove 20 minutes later from Provo. Wonderful weather, the sun peering over the mountains and a cool air, but not quite a breeze. There was music playing at the Fire Station which is where the race started. Picked up my race number and did a 15 minute easy jog warm-up.

The race started with a military guy shooting a machine gun into the air (I hope they weren't real bullets, do they have blanks for machine guns?) and an explosion of some sort. I rushed to the front and after a few minutes found myself in 4th place. I tried to hang with the three guys in the front, but I wasn't feeling good about that. At the turn-around/half-way mark I could feel some guys coming up on me. After a couple minutes I was passed.

I stayed with those guys, going back in forth between 4th, 5th and 6th place. Then one of the guys took off, but I found it hard to stay with him. Then the other guy passed me, but I stayed with him. At the end I gave it all I had and passed that guy taking 5th place overall with a time of 17:29.2. I am pleased with that time. It wasn't what I wanted, but I did my very best and I pushed my body to the limit.

I felt tired. I was breathing pretty hard, wheezing at the end. I think my Thursday workout may have been a little too hard for me, oops. Overall I am pleased and life is good. My wife gave me a great Father's Day present and I ate food and took a very small nap and now I'm ending this post with an invitation the run fearless and tackle the day! (Brant:)

4 comments:

  1. Top five, top five! You made the top five!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top ten or five in anything is fantastic. Next time 3rd, or quantum leap to first. Read chapter 7. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caleb, yes they do have blanks for machine guns to ease your worries... i've shot one before with blanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You tackled, that's for sure. Way to be!

    ReplyDelete