05 June 2010

Believe it's possible

"You can be anything you want to be, if only you believe with sufficient conviction and act in accordance with your faith; for whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve." -Napoleon Hill

Principle #4 from Jack Canfield's book The Success Principles is Believe It's Possible. I love that quote at the beginning by Napoleon Hill. There are two conditions to achieving goals and dreams, 1. You have to conceive the goal/dream and 2. You have to believe it. Like I have done before I will highlight the chapter, apply it to myself and then apply it to everyone in general.

The world is filled with inspiring stories of people who have conceived a goal, believed it, let their lives pay the price to be able to achieve it and then have. Tug McGraw of the Philadelphia Phillies was one of those who was a pitcher in the World Series and had visualized and played out in his mind every day winning the World Series, and then it happened. Ruben Gonzalez took up the sport of luge at age 20, originally a soccer player from Argentina, and went on to compete in 4 Winter Olympics holding a record for the only athlete to compete in four different Olympic games in four separate decades.

For me, if I want to accomplish my goals and dreams then I have to believe it. Yeah, easier said than done. I REALLY, TRULY and DEEPLY have to believe that I can be one of the best runners in the world. I have to convince myself and my subconscious beliefs that it is possible and that I really can do. Every day I need to visualize myself winning races, being where I want to be and doing what I want to be doing. I must expect nothing less than that. I must replace negative thoughts, feelings and emotions with positive ones. In the upcoming principles we'll see more of how this is possible, but for now we gotta believe that what we want to achieve is possible.

Now, for you. You have desires deep down inside. You are the one who decides what you will or will not accomplish. "Sooner or later, those who win are those who think they can." -Richard Bach. You have conceived a goal (or you are about to) now believe it. Don't listen to anyone! Don't listen to people who tell you that you can't. Don't listen to people that tell you that you need to scale your goal down because it's TOO lofty--chuck that out! And believe that you can. You can do it, you can do it, you can do it. I will end this post with the famous words from one of my best friends Brant, "Never look back!" Have a great weekend and run fearless.

(Returning and reporting yesterday's workouts: 1st, 27 min run easy; 2nd, 55 min run easy AND today's workouts: 1st, 30 min run easy; 2nd, 20 min warm-up, mile time-trial by myself at the Provo H.S. track 5:03, 20 min cool-down) Great week. God is great, merciful, kind and loving.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on this. People too often set goals that are not challenging. They lack vision, or ambition, or something else.

    I have come to believe that the faith to achieve truly difficult goals is the more important half of the magic. The second half is to work harder, and longer than you think you can stand. But without the faith, the absolute determination to win, the hard work will never be enough.

    ReplyDelete