16 June 2010

Lukas Verzbicas, Up and Coming!

Alright, today's post is a runner highlight, not that he needs the attention because he's the talk of the running world, is on Lukas Verzbicas. This is a kid, who in my opinion runs fearless--and that's why I'm talking about him.

To read some biographical info on him go to a biography on Lukas Verzbicas.This past weekend at the Adidas Grand Prix they had a special event called the Jim Ryun High School Dream Mile. Jim Ryun was the high school mile record holder for many years until Alan Webb broke it in 2001. (Which seems like yesterday to me, but when you do the math that was 9 years ago, okay I'm getting older every minute.)

Okay, so back to the dream mile. Adidas picked all the top high school milers around the nation and brought them together for a championship race. I believe Lukas's PR for the mile before this race was 4:15 and then he goes out with the intention of winning and runs the mile in 4:04. (Watch the race below.). Incredible! I don't know, this kid impresses me. In an interview done with Lukas on Flotrack he seemed pretty humble and grateful--which, at least for me, is refreshing to see nowadays.

Once again I picked this guy because I think he is someone who runs fearless and I wanted you to know about him too. I didn't put all the accomplishments he's ever achieved in this post like winning the Foot Locker Cross-Country championships as a Sophomore or as a freshman, setting a national high school indoor record in the 5K with a time of 14:18.42 at the 2009 Nike Indoor Nationals. So check him out and run fearless for goodness sake!

No comments:

Post a Comment