05 May 2010

Vibram Five Fingers Review


I was sitting in church when a teacher said he had read the book "Born to Run" and then he said that I would love reading it. He let me borrow the book and that's when my running paradigm shifted dramatically. I started running barefoot at parks. I built up mileage to where I was doing the majority of my runs on grass, barefoot at parks. I did several long runs of over 15 miles barefoot and I loved it.
Then I bought the Vibram Five Fingers. I still favor running on grass and soft surfaces, but now I can do it without worrying if I'm going to step on something sharp and hurt myself. I don't wear socks, usually, with my Vibrams and because of that I've gotten several blisters. I think that's the only negative thing I have to say about them. I think they are a great product and I recommend them. I had a guy in my Exercise Physiology class tell me that we, as people from the U.S., can't handle having no support and being close to barefoot. To that I say, you're right to some degree, but we also can't just walk outside and run a marathon or even better, an ultra-marathon, without training (or if we do without hurting ourselves.) Anything new that is introduced to the body requires training, upsetting homeostasis and becoming stronger. In my opinion, that's how it is with running barefoot and the Vibram Five Fingers.
I think running barefoot and with the Vibrams was an answer from God. I had been so frustrated about my running and exercise in general that I didn't know what to do. I fell back in love with running. I know God looks out for us and I know He answers prayers, even about minor things like exercise and running.

1 comment: