13 May 2010

Brandon Sanderson and what I learned

I think there comes a time in everyone’s life where they have to take a step back and really ask themselves if what they’re doing is really what they want to be doing. I not only think these times are normal but I think they are great. I think we need to question ourselves and ask ourselves why we’re doing something and what we’re doing.


I went to a reading on BYU campus recently of a science fiction/fantasy writer who had written 8 novels. His name is Brandon Sanderson and his resume is long so you can Google him if you want to know more. He was a little crazy and disturbing to me at the beginning but he said something that impacted me and I will forever be grateful. During his undergraduate and like a year after graduation he hadn’t been published. He said in his introduction that he had to decide what he wanted to do. He came to the conclusion that even if he didn’t make a cent on any of his books that writing is what he loved to do and he was going to continue doing it. He wrote a HUGE fantasy novel and later that year got a call from company who wanted to publish one of his previous novels.


I think that story can be turned into an introspective, evaluative and reflective question, “If I wasn’t getting any money for what I’m doing would I still be doing it?” What are my reasons for doing what I do?


In a class I took I received some excellent counsel in choosing a career. A man named Truman Madsen quoted another man named John A. Widstoe saying, “When choosing a career ask yourself, 1. What am I good at? 2. What do I love to do? And 3. What does the world need?” That has helped me in a lot of my decision making.


I want to run and make running and everything connected with it my future because I love it. Ever since high school I have felt that I was being held back from performing very well. Who knows all the reasons why, but I believe it was because I wasn’t ready--whether that was physically, mentally, emotionally etc. I believe there is a champion inside of me waiting to come out and conquer. Until then I will continue to run fearless. I invite you to do so too.

No comments:

Post a Comment