17 May 2010

iPods and MP3s

I never have run with an iPod or MP3 until recently. I used to think that if I was running with one then I wouldn't be able to listen to my body as much. I still think there's some truth to that, but my opinion is changing. Music is motivating especially when you run alone. I ran for an hour and half this morning without music and it was great. I thought out loud, gathered ideas and formed plans for the day and near future. I do however have some issues with iPods and MP3s.

I have a cousin and she told me once that she liked to run at night with her iPod. To me that's not okay. That's asking for someone to attack you for reals. I think that if you're going to run a lot on roads and cross a lot of streets then you should either have it on a low volume or turn it off until you get to an area where there aren't cars. When we turn it up so loud we can't hear anything else we become hazards to everyone.

I was riding my bike home and because of the street and traffic I was forced to ride on the sidewalk. Some guy was listening to his iPod and I yelled to him that I was coming. He was walking down the middle of the sidewalk so I went as far to the side of him as I could and almost hit him, then he yelled at me. Does anyone besides me see anything wrong with that? I yelled back. Run fearless. Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I think the answer is that if you're going to run with music; be smart about it. I like the low volume idea. I also think you have to think about where you're running; who's around you, etc.

    ReplyDelete