21 May 2010

How I plan to change the world

I've been sending out invitations on Facebook to friends so that they can invite their friends to my Facebook page and then to my blog. I say in that invitation that I want to change the world through running. I had a friend ask me how I planned on doing that. It was the first time I'd been asked that, but I was ready for the question. Here's my response:

Ghandi said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." If I want the world to be happy then I must be happy. If I want the world to treat others with love then I must do the same. I want people to love and accept one another and that's what I'm trying to do. I am far from perfect, just ask anyone close to me, but I'm trying hard to be the change I want to see in the world.

But how will I do this through running?

Step 1: Make the BYU Cross-Country team

Step 2: Be an NCAA National Champion

Step 3: Obtain a sponsorship from a major company and several smaller ones (example: Nike and then Clif bar, Kellogs etc)

Step 4: Qualify for big races(IAAF Diamond league, races in Europe etc) and win.

Step 5: Qualify for the Olympics and win a gold medal. When you win gold medals and you're the best runner in the world then people look to you as an important, influential person. I want to then, or even before that, do things like Greg Mortenson from "Three Cups of Tea" and build schools in countries where they need it. His theory is that terrorism comes because people are educated the wrong ways, like by the Al Qaeda, because they have no other alternative for education--and these people are STARVING for education. I want to be a motivational speaker and be a positive influence in the lives of kids, teens and adults. Ultimately because of this I plan to continue being very open, honest and stalwart about my faith in God and His Son Jesus Christ. I know that it is only through Him that we can be saved and only through following Him that we can truly be happy.

Boom! I just let that all out. That was a big step for me. Run Fearless is where you will be able to follow me. You'll be able to see what I'm doing. You will see me go from where I am now to where I will be.

1 comment:

  1. I admire you for this. And if anyone can do it I am sure you can. Best of luck in chasing your dreams.

    ReplyDelete