05 September 2011

What do Deepak Chopra, Jack Daniels and Jack Canfield all have in common?

(The last paragraph explains everything you need to know about this post, feel free to skip to that if you'd like, but I promise it won't be quite as fun!)

I encountered a hurdle, a moment of truth, an instant of indecision if you will.  I got some positive opposition last week that made me think about what I'm doing.  In my post on Thursday, Smarter not Harder, (which was my last post because I didn't post on Friday or Saturday--I'm sorry, but you'll know why I didn't post those days in like t-minus 1 minute and 45 seconds, depending on how fast you're reading) I was already feeling a little down.  The positive opposition told me that I couldn't run as fast as I'm planning on.  It told me I couldn't make it to the Olympics.  Really, if you think about it it's near impossible.  Maybe some of you, if not most, if not all of you have not taken the time to examine exactly what I'm trying to do.  Let me shed a little light:

I want to make it to the Olympics.  From what I understand, in order to go to the Olympics you have to run an Olympic A or B, but because everyone in the U.S. can run the A standard, an Olympic A qualifying standard by the time of the Olympic trials to go to the Oympics--on top of placing in the top 3 at the Olympic trials.  My goal races are the 5,000 meter and 10,000 meter runs.  The Olympic qualifying standards for them are as follows:

5,000m A: 13:20
5,000m B: 13:27
10,000m A: 27:45
10,000m B: 28:05

Okay, yeah, those are fast.  Now, my personal bests are kind of far off those times.  I just ran a 5K (5,000 meters) on the roads a couple weeks ago.  Pretty flat course.  I was feeling pretty good.  I did run all out, as fast as I could and I ran it in 17:39 and this was my post about it on I Wept and I Raced.  I ran a 10K (10,000 meters) on a pretty downhill course on July 25th in a PR/PB time of 35:13, (read about on My Craziest Pre-race Experience Yet, video version and written version.)  Okay, so for the 5,000, currently I'm 4 minutes and 19 seconds off of the A standard.  In the 10,000 I'm 8 minutes and 28 seconds (check my math) off the A standard.  Now, if I was just leisurely jogging these races that would be one thing, but it's another that I'm running close to 100%, if not 100%.  Going to the Olympics (in the words of the man I sat in front of on a train at Disneyworld) "is a a tall order" to say the least!

Okay, so back to the topic which we're on, but I've written a lot.  The reason I didn't post Friday or Saturday is because I've been reading, thinking and doing other things.  Amy finally came up from Utah and my brother's girlfriend also visited who I hadn't met, so it's been busy.  But anyways, to answer what do Deepak Chopra, Jack Daniels and Jack Canfield all have in common? Answer: Currently they are my coaches.

Deepak Chopra is this cool Indian guy who wrote a book called The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success which after listening to it on my old, ghetto iPod and then reading the book, I feel deep down that his stuff is one of the things that will help the most.

Jack Daniels may or may not be the Jack Daniels you're thinking of.  This is not related in any way, shape or form (as far as I know) to the whiskey.  According to Runner's World he is the "World's Best Running Coach", or at least that's what it says on the cover of his book Daniels' Running Formula.  Now I don't know how true that it because Kenya, Ethiopia and Morocco kind of dominate the distance running world, but 1. it's the best I have, referred to me from a great source and 2. as I've been reading his book and thinking about things it feels right.  Right now, "feeling right" is what I'm going off of, and that feels right! LOL, love it.

Jack Canfield is the author of the Chicken Soup for the Soul phenomenon and he has a book called The Success Principles which I started reading as part of a Mastermind Group a year ago and then dropped out of the group, but finished the book.  It felt right back then, but the timing was off--story of my life!  And it feels right now.

So the current plan of action if I were to summarize it into a concise and clean paragraph:

Drop my current time trials.  Train smarter not harder by following Daniels' Running Formula.  Focus on the event I plan on running in the Olympics: The 5,000 meter run.  Put into practice Chopra's and Canfield's success principles.  Attack!  (If you skipped ahead, go back and read the whole thing for this to make more sense, but if you don't care, this is all you need to know.)  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment