19 September 2011

How's Your Training Going?

I think the question that people ask me most often is "How's your training going?"  In the past I would have responded, "Oh, it's going okay, I'm running good times, working really hard, but I'm not exactly where I want to be."  But right now I can answer and say that my training is going better than ever before, and this post is about what I'm doing and why.

Okay, so I was overtraining, have been.  Last week I did a total of 36 miles.  Monday through Friday I did a 3 mile run in the morning and another in the afternoon with a light warm-up and cool-down.  My pace was a consistent 7:34 per mile.  Sometimes I went faster without really meaning to, so I slowed down.  Other times the wind was strong, so it slowed my time down, but I did not speed up, or at least I tried not to.  On Saturday I ran 3 miles, stopped, stretched/rested for 5 minutes, then did another 3 miles.  I have not been sore, or at least not running related soreness.  I was incredibly sore though in my chest because I needed a max performance for push-ups so I could plan accordingly for my circuit.

I have been tired.  I was going to bed pretty consistently at 9:30 p.m. and waking up at 6 a.m.  So in theory I should have been getting good sleep, but my son is still having trouble sleeping through the night, so even though my total sleep time is pretty good, it's filled with interruptions.  I'm not complaining, just explaining.  Amy has the worst of it, because my son refuses to let me put him to sleep.  We're working on solutions to that problem.

So in review, I'm really enjoying my running, it's going so good.  I feel fresh for each workout although I'm tired and I'm excited to see what happens in the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment