07 September 2011

I'm Going to Rest

So I've been reading the book Daniels' Running Formula by Jack Daniels which I mentioned in my post on Monday.  The more I read the better I feel about everything.  I have realized that I was overdoing it, last week and probably in previous weeks.  The section I read today that really hit me was called "Step 5: Include Planned Breaks".  I'm going to quote straight from there:

"Runners should take a few weeks off occasionally as scheduled breaks from training...Although runners are often reluctant to take breaks, most breaks are beneficial in terms of overall development."  I will pause here to say I have been training pretty consistently ever since my buddy Tim suggested we run together around January.  My original thoughts were to train as hard as possible for as long as possible.  I'm realizing that that would have led to the demise of my dream.  Anyways, I'm trying to say that a combo of things this last week, my body was asking for a rest, so late last week and up until today I have been reluctantly giving it one, but today when I read what I read I realized I need to take it easy and really rest.  I will continue:

"Continuous exhaustive training (which is what I was doing) can place too much wear and tear on runners' bodies and have an adverse psychological effect...Breaks in training also allow little injuries to heal, ones that might not have been serious enough to interrupt training but that could have become much worse had hard workouts continued...Many coaches and runners don't want to take time away from running, especially when things are going well, for fear of losing fitness.  Such individuals tend to be pessimistic types (like myself, but not anymore!) who figure there will eventually be an unplanned setback that will serve the same purpose.  I don't think you should ever plan on unplanned setbacks, because that's a pretty sure way for a serious setback to occur (bold added for emphasis)... Often a training break offers a great opportunity to carry out a strength program or to learn more about stretching and relaxation...Your breaks play an important part in helping your body and mind rebuild for the next season or phase of training."

1 comment: