01 September 2011

Day 4: Smarter not Harder

Today has been an eventful day.  Very important things have happened.  Let me tell you about them...

Teton Running Company called me this morning and I was offered a part-time position.  I promptly accepted it.  Who knows all the reasons, I'm sure there are several, but I think part of it had to do with the fact that I had detached myself from the outcome.  I did a post on it yesterday entitled Detachment and you're welcome to read  it.  Anyways, that was awesome.

Next:  I did two workouts.  I was not happy about the second one.  I was feeling a little discouraged, tired.  But I went anyways and it ended up being a good run.

Next:  My plan today was to do my next 400 meter time trial.  I went to the library with my mom and when I got home the plan was to take a little nap, take my brother to the high school to set up for the Welcome Back dance, and then I would do my time trial at the track.  Well I was feeling really tired first of all.  Second, I didn't have any spikes because they were in my wife's lost piece of luggage that was then returned to my wife in Utah.  Third, when I went to take a nap I couldn't sleep.  I had tons of thoughts going through my mind.

To make my long thoughts short I realized that I need to train smarter, not harder.  I decided that I need to take some time to figure things out, specifically what my next steps are with races, my goals with training etc.  So I decided to train as my blog title says: Smarter not Harder, which I think may be the title of a book.  Anyways, my plan therefore is to ease off and train harder as I feel better. I plan to read the book that Ed Eyestone recommended, Daniels' Running Formula, and take a smarter approach to my training so I don't get injured or sick.  You know?  Over. 

2 comments: