12 September 2011

Quinoa Explosion and Dog Chase

Today has been great.  Let me break it, break it down for you.  For those of you readers just joining us for the first time today, I welcome you.  You may or may not know who I am; my name is Caleb and I want to be a pro runner.  There's more that goes with that, like wanting to go to the Olympics, shatter world records and such, but I love running and want to do it for a living.

Today I started a training plan from Jack Daniels' book called Daniels' Running Formula.  I went for an easy 3 mile run this morning, approximately 7:34 per mile pace and then I did the same thing in the afternoon after work.  I work at this awesome place called Teton Running and I have awesome co-workers.

So this morning on run #1 I was running down 49th towards Holmes, like a good boy on the left side of the road so I could see the cars (before they hit me) and out of the corner of my eye, as I pass this black thing on the ground it bolts up into attack mode, bears it's teeth as it growls, barks and oh, this gets better, chases.  My instinct tells me to 1. Run faster and 2. Cross the road a.s.a.p.  It's a good thing there weren't any cars because I swerved to the other side like nobody's business and outran that black devil.  I wished a silent prayer, which I later took back, that that dog be hit by a car.  It scared me so bad and could have caused my premature death.  Anyways, who knows, I probably woke him up and he, or she, probably thought I was attaching it.  Anyways, I recovered and finished my run.

Alright, then I'm in my little office in quiet meditation, just BEING, as Deepak Chopra says, when all the sudden I hear this sizzle-like sound, as if someone has lit a firework and this POP!  I had put some quinoa, peanut butter, honey and soy milk mixed with hot water over-night for a pre-run and post-run snack/meal--Well first of all it was a little nasty, which is what usually happens when I experiment and second it exploded.  I have no idea the chemical reactions that were taking place, but it might as well have been baking soda and vinegar because the lid flew off, which I didn't even know could come off the way it did, hit the ceiling and landed 6 inches from where I was sitting AND some of the nasty quinoa concoction flew out and landed on my desk.  Yes, it was cool, but I learned my lesson that I will steam quinoa from now on.  Or soak it, or sprout it.

Now it's dinner time.  Amy is making black bean and kielbasa soup.  I love that girl and I love the food she makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment