21 September 2011

How to set effective goals

I'm currently on Principle 7 of Jack Canfield's Success Principles which is about goal setting.  I'm actually semi-obsessed with it at the moment which is why this post will be short, but oh so sweet!

There are two elements you want with a goal to transfer it from a good idea to a real-deal goal.  How much, by when?  That is the criteria and here is my example:

Good Idea:  Win a gold medal.

Goal:  I will win a gold medal in the 5,000 meter run in the 2012 London Summer Olympics and I will run 5,000 meters in 12:55 in that same race by Saturday, August 11th at 8:00 p.m. British Summer Time [BST] 2012.

Some of you may be asking, is that his goal for reals?  Yes.  Go big or go home is my motto.  I really believe it's possible.  Canfield recommends reading your goals every day, 3 times a day.  One of the things that stood out to me from the chapter was this:  "When you write it all down, your subconscious mind will know what to work on.  It will know which opportunities to hone in on to help you reach your goal... Read the list one goal at a time.  Close your eyes and picture each goal as if it were already accomplished.  Take a few more seconds to feel what you would feel if you had already accomplished each goal...Your brain wants to close the gap between your current reality and the vision of your goal" (Success Principles, pages 52-55).

Right now I'm working on 101 goals, so that's what I'm going to get back to right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment