18 October 2011

My Race, My Life, My Blog

Alright, sorry it's been so long since my last post, but it's been crazy.  I'm a little sick right now, but not too bad so I've been taking care of my body, but life is grand and I wanted to tell you about it.

On Saturday I ran a 5K.  I finished in like 17:44, second place overall.  Frankly it wasn't as fast as I was hoping for.  I was a little disappointed to say the least, so I ate some sugar cereal, watched some cool races on YouTube and then went to work.  My manager at work took me home that evening after we closed.  We talked about the race and I again expressed my disappointment.  My manager by the way took third right behind me in a banana suit/costume promoting for Jamba Juice. He brought up a really good point that I have been doing a lot of slow runs.  My mileage has been good, but my intensity really has been non-existent, so taking into consideration those factors I should be happy with that time.  He was/is right and I'm glad for friends that help bring things into perspective.

I had been wanting a GPS watch for a while.  Mainly for keeping track of mileage.  But recently as I've been using Jack Daniels' book and training plans realizing I need a GPS watch, or rather a GPS watch would be really beneficial to my training, to keep me on pace for the runs that require a certain, steady pace.  Anyways, I got a message from a lady in my ward that does Ironmans/Ironmen :) (Ironpeople is more politically correct;) and she said she had an extra GPS watch I could borrow.  I don't even know how she knew I was looking for one, maybe my mom told her, I doubt it, but I used it for the first time today without really knowing how to use it and it worked pretty good.

I'm not going to lie.  The original purpose of my blog back in 2010 was to make money eventually and be able to do the thing I love: running, for a living while I blogged about it and made it big.  Well, in the past few days I've realized I'm too attached to my outcomes of running and I believe that in order to succeed I need to relinquish my attachment to those outcomes.  I need to let Heavenly Father know what I desire, work hard and learn along the way.  I still want to achieve my goals, but if they don't happen I won't be so heartbroken I won't be able to move on.  So with my blog, I'm going to back off, post when I want.  It'll be like my journal in that I used to write a lot daily, but now I write when I feel like it and I like that for now.  Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on living your dream. You are an example to all of us.

    Did your boss really run the race dressed as a banana?

    Luhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the intensity thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, he had a little Banana costume that Jamba Juice wanted him to wear. It was fun. I wish I had brought a video camera for the finish.

    ReplyDelete