03 October 2011

Bloody Soldier

Saturday morning was one of the most traumatizing experiences I have had in a long time.  It wasn't even that bad, but lots of blood for me equals trauma.

I'm just not a blood guy.  I have O-negative, which means I can donate to anyone including infants which the red cross always so nicely reminds me of every time they call and ask me to donate.  So I have felt an obligation to donate blood and have overcome my fear of getting poked periodically.  I have not overcome the fear though of watching the needle enter my body.  I've never looked at any needle enter my body and I could probably count on 2 fingers how many times I've seen it done on other people.  ANYWAYS that's just to give some background on my aversion to blood in person.  Movies sometimes is fine, but live, no thanks.

I had a really, really good run Saturday morning.  I felt like I was giving my normal 7:34 per mile effort, but I was hitting close to 7:00 each time.  I tried to slow down, but I just couldn't.  So I had to work at 10:00 that morning and Amy wanted to shower before I left.  Kimball, my son who's 20 months old, had a rough night so he was super tired.  We decided that he would be fine while Amy showered and then after she was done, she could put him down for a late morning nap.  Well, lately we have been letting him stand on a chair while we do things like when my mom makes cookies, or when my dad makes granola, or when I make green smoothies.  Kimball LOVES, he absolutely loves to help.  I'll wash a leaf of kale, and then give him half to put in one of the Magic Bullet cups.  He really likes to use knives too, so we let him sometimes, or maybe it's just me that let's him... But not all by himself, I help him.  Anyways, this story does not include a knife, so don't worry, sorry if I scared you.

I got the oatmeal out, was heating up some water etc. and Kimball was reapeating "Cereal" over and over again, which when he says it it sounds like "Seeweeuhl" which is super cute, except he was whining it loudly and due for a nap anyways.  Well I started to take the oatmeal back the pantry and he followed me with his body, turning towards me bit by bit, well I couldn't tell until I passed the counter top that he was close to the edge of the chair he was standing on and as he was turning and doing his mad mini-stomp he fell backwards off the chair, I think hitting bum first and then hitting his head on the ground.

We learned later that he had bit both sides of his lower lip.  He started screaming, grabbing his lower lip as blood just poured out of his mouth and onto to my wrist and sports watch.  Amy was in the shower and I was in blood-trauma-I-don't-know-what-to-do mode, so I ran down, the bathroom was locked so I hit the door hard, went to another door and found a little key--you know the ones that look like a straight piece of round metal and go into a little hole lock in the door-knob.  When I got back to the bathroom door Amy had opened it and she freaked out a little, but then got a washcloth to start treating it...

Okay, enough details, but needless to say we're all traumatized, but glad that Kimball's okay.  When he fell he was holding an army guy.  I did a little video that you can see it below.  He got blood on the army guy which makes it look like the real deal.

At first I had a lot of emotions rushing through my brain.  I wanted to say, "See, that's shouldn't let you stand on chairs." or something, but I realized that really it was a combo of problems and when it really boiled down to it, stuff like that happens no matter how careful we are, at least it does in my my family.  Accidents happen and I'm very grateful that Kimball was okay.  I think the whole thing helped me develop more love for my family, a greater appreciation for my wife and a stronger testimony of God.  It's a shame that traumatizing experiences have to be the things to do that for me, but nevertheless I am grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment