13 October 2011

Awesome No-Bakes and Incredible Crepes

Just thought I'd pass along some Fearless Recipes I thought you'd all enjoy:

I made both of the following recipes recently and really enjoyed them.  A friend at work asked for the recipes and while I was sending them to him on Facebook I realized it would make a really good blog post so here you go, just sharing the love:


Caleb's Semi-Healthy, Almost-Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free No-Bake Cookies

(Before you make them look at my "what I wish I would have done differently" after the recipe)

1/2 C. Olive Oil
2/3 C. Honey
1/2 C. Almond Milk
3 T. Cocoa
Sprinkle Salt (Real Salt if you have it)

Put all these ingredients in a pot, heat up until it's a liquid mixture, then add:

3 C. Old Fashioned Oats
1/3 C. Natural Peanut Butter (like Adams)
1/3 C. Flax Meal (not necessary, but I liked it, but I'm sure it would taste just the same without it)
Sprinkle Vanilla

Stir until all the oats are coated and have soaked up everything, then drop by the spoonful on wax paper or whatever you have.  I usually make mine like double or triple spoonful.

What I wish I would have done differently:
I think you could do less Olive Oil, like a 1/4 cup instead of a 1/2, you could probably do a 1/2 cup honey because even 2/3 cup was a tad too sweet.  You could probably increase the amount of peanut butter if you really like peanut butter, or substitute with almond or cashew butter and I'm sure that would taste really good.  Let me know how they turn out if and when you make them.

Caleb's Vegan Wheat-Free Crepes

(Okay, so I'm not a vegan, but I think that eating less meat and more healthy stuff like plants and whole grains is REALLY good for everyone, so here you go)

1 C. Spelt flour (reg. wheat flour works, but then they're not wheat-free, I'm a little sensitive to wheat, so I try to avoid it)
1 C. Almond Milk
2 T. Flax Meal
1 T. Olive Oil

Alright, so maybe you've made flax meal before, but if you haven't you can grind flax seed as you would any other grain (like in a wheat grinder, or hand grinder, or in a blender like a vitamix or blendtec), and then before you do anything else take 2 tablespoons of the flax, put it into a little bowl or cup, then add like 4 or so tablespoons of water so that the flax meal is soaking in water, stir it around like a few times so it makes a simple paste--that will be your egg substitute.

I put everything into a 2 Cup measuring cup thing so I can then just pour it straight into the pan.  Put the flour in the cup, then the milk, then add the flax meal paste, mix it all up real good, then add the oil, then make crepes.  I usually put oil in the pan too, and heat it up on medium-low heat as I'm preparing the mix.  If you've never done crepes I can teach you some time, but you probably have because you're pro like that.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment