04 September 2010

I'm not Peter Pan, so I'm leaving Neverland


I think it's time to grow up. For the past 7 years I have thought I would make the BYU Cross Country and Track teams. Today I ran a race and did horrible. I think it's time to re-evaluate.

I have felt VERY strongly that running is something God not only has led me to do but something that He wants me to do. I say that with confidence and zero blasphemy. If my feelings are right then some day some thing will happen and I just have to be ready. God has never told me when would be the time so it means I need to be ready always. There are a TON of applications for that principle, but I'll spare you for now.

My mission president in Argentina told me the following about finding a wife: "She will come. Surely she will come. You don't know when, but she will come. Your job is to always be ready so that when she does come you will be ready. Be obedient, keep the commandments and stay worthy and some day she will come and you will be ready too." Well, about two years ago I was sitting in a car with my girlfriend and we started talking about marriage. 3-ish months later we were married in Manti, UT. I was ready, so was she and we were married.

If running is right it will happen. I may not be Peter Pan, but I could be a Vince Papale, Jimmy Morris or Dara Torres of sorts where later in life I just get faster and faster.

Who knows, I don't, but what I do know is that for now a tired warrior is going to take a break and help a little more around the house. I'm going to clean more, get up in the night to take care of the baby and ease the stress from my wife and just rest.

I asked my wife if she thought that if I didn't obsess about running if I would get faster. (Did that make sense?) She said she didn't know, neither do I. I'd like to think that it will. We'll definitely see because that's what I'm going to do. For a while that's how I'll run fearless. That's how I'll be fearless. Yep, and that's how I'll live fearless.

1 comment:

  1. Caleb, you need to add the facebook like feature to your blog. Likey! :-) I still say, don't grow up.

    ReplyDelete