25 September 2010

35 minutes barefoot (accidentally) and The Barefoot Half-Marathon



I woke up early for a conference call. Changed a wet diaper, then a poopy one and got the little guy down for his morning nap all while my wife slept and recovered from the rough night she had with a sick baby. We don't really plan it out, but many times I'm the back-up in the morning while she recovers.

With both of them asleep I decided it was a good time to go running and I set off in my black Nike shorts and my short-sleeved gray t-shirt. I had taped my big toe on my left foot and the second toe on my right foot. I put on extra tape just so the chances of burning through the first layer were slimmer. (I don't know if you can use "slim" like that, but I did.)

I wanted/had planned on running just 30 minutes, but ended up running 35 minutes. It felt okay. I can feel my feet getting tired and sore. My mother-in-law asked if I wanted my feet to become callused and tough. I told her I did. I think being a long-distance runner, which I see myself being for a long time, and having tough, callused feet is a good thing.

Okay, so here's the latest news: I'm going to run a half-marathon barefoot. At least that's the plan I've created in my head and a little on paper. I was thinking about running the Halloween Half-Marathon, but it's $50 and the only reason I want to run it is to say I've run a half-marathon barefoot. SO I decided to make my own race. I'll get a buddy to bike behind me (and anyone else who wants to come) with a video camera and tape. I'll borrow someone's GPS watch (hopefully), start up in the canyon, come down the Provo River Trail ALL TOTALLY barefoot. I'm excited, stay tuned and run fearless.

No comments:

Post a Comment