24 September 2010

Crazy stares and a 2:13 800 meter run barefoot


Yesterday I went on my first real adventure barefoot. I'm sure I could call some of my other barefoot ventures adventures, but in my opinion yesterday was my first. That's because I actually went somewhere.

I left my house and started running West. I ran kind of through BYU campus on the sidewalks and through the cross-walks. One guy on the back of a scooter gave me a funny stare so I stared right back at him. That startled him so much that he caused the driver to crash. Yeah, it was bad. Except it didn't actually happen, but that was a funny/sick thought I just had. But the guy staring and me staring back part did happen.

I was waiting at a stop-light and I heard this girl say, "Whatever floats your boat." I knew she was talking about me to her friend who was driving, so I turned and yelled, "Thank you!" But they didn't hear me.

Then I arrived at the track, did a one-lap warm-up, got some water and started my 800 meter time-trial. I've decided that I'm going to train barefoot and race barefoot (if possible). So my first 400 was a 1:08.74 and the second 400 was a 1:04.54 equaling 2:13.28. It felt hard and good. If I could only do two 800s like that back-to-back that would be sweet. Total barefoot running time: 27 minutes 25 seconds barefoot.

As I ran fast I could feel old-blisters opening and the friction of skin-to-track burning the skin on the toes that grip the track the most. That's why I have athletic tape on the two toes in the picture. Besides that I'm feeling really good about it all. Run fearless.

No comments:

Post a Comment