16 September 2010

10 Minutes Barefoot on Cement and Asphalt


Today I went running wearing the attire you see in that HOT picture above. I got that shirt from a high school buddy named Chris. I miss Chris.

Today I witnessed a sweet 4-mile time-trial which was kind of the last opportunity for the walk-ons to make an impression on Coach Eyestone. I loved it. It was the same course I used for The Barefoot Race a month ago. I was watching this time which was different than normal. Most races I go to so I can race in them, not necessarily to be a spectator.

After practice I ran for 10 minutes. About 40% was cement and 60% was asphalt. The coolest part was that I ran up 900 East and there was a good amount of traffic. Cars passed me, but then I caught them as they had to slow down for the light. I just picked it up running fast on the sidewalk. I just imagined what it would be like to be looking out the car at this 25 year-old, skinny, 5' 11" guy in short-shorts and a magenta shirt just bookin' it barefoot up ninth--Cool, that's what I would think.

Don't trash it 'til you try it! That's my run fearless motto, unless your talking about drugs and stuff like that. Alright, run fearless.

4 comments:

  1. WoooOOOOOOooooooo...I love the new look for the blog. I guess I haven't been here in a while because I had a lot of catching up to do. I was too depressed to read your blog for a while because I haven't been able to run and I'm super depressed about not being able to run my marathon, so it was too hard for me to read all the fun running stuff you've been doing. But I've come to terms with my running situation and am starting to look to the future so I came back here to get some inspiration (because you really are so inspiring)! First things first, congratulations on your new job. That's very exciting. Also, great picture of you with your baby. He looks so much like your wife in that picture. Also, I'm sorry you have been discouraged about your running times. I think everyone hits little plateaus in their training where your body wants to know if you're going to give in or push forward. It's a test. And if you just persevere then your body will realize you mean business and start doing what you want it to do again. We're all rooting for you!!!!! And as for this latest post - awesome outfit. If I had seen you running in that and barefoot it would have made me smile. You are brave for doing barefoot running on asphalt. I am curious to see how it all goes for you. Anyway, I'll end my novel now.

    *as a sidenote, my word verification is "fashin". I thought it was very fitting for this post and your amazing get-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to hear your voice in your writing! Just puts a smile to my face! :-D!

    ReplyDelete
  3. caleb,

    do you have advice for beginning training for a half-marathon? i have begun by setting a goal of 15 miles every week for now. then i'll start increasing the miles as i can. i'm focusing on distance and just getting the miles in. when should i start working on speed? is it better to focus on distance only in the beginning or should i start working in some speed workouts now?

    thanks!

    -chelsey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reactions to your comments:
    1. Shannon: You are the best and you make me feel good, thank you! I love your comments.
    2. I don't exactly know who it is that commented the second one but thank you!
    3. We've already talked on the phone Chelsey, but my advice is to build up gradually with one long run per week, one hill session and one speed workout. The other days can either be rest if you need it or easy runs. That's what I got.

    ReplyDelete