23 September 2010

BMX kids and 21 minutes barefoot on the hard stuff


Tuesday I went running. I did a nice loop along the asphalt trail along University Ave. up 1140 along Canyon by the stadium and then back to the Smith Fieldhouse at BYU. My total time barefoot totalled 21 minutes 36 seconds because I ran into some of the guys on the BYU team as they were coming back from their run.

Nate Ogden, one of the captains of the team, along with another runner caught up to me when I was waiting at the light at Canyon Road and Univerity Parkway; right by the stadium. They approached, recognized me and said hi. Then Nate looked down and said, "Barefoot huh?"
"Yep."
"On cement, that's brave."
"Just experimenting with some things."
And that was the end of our brief conversation. I decided to try and hang with them for the last 5 minutes of the run. They were doing an easy run so it wasn't too bad. I did have to stop at some bushes where I had hid my shoes and I was still able to catch up.

Funny side-note: About 4 guys around 17-18 years old, were getting a ticket from a cop for using the stairs and hand-rail at the track stadium for BMX bike purposes. They had used one of my shoes to prop the gate open. While the cop was writing them up I told the others who were sitting down, "I'm going to take this," as I removed my shoe.
"Go ahead," one said. Then I found my other shoe and started to walk off. "Oh were those yours?" the same guy asked.
"Yep."
"Oh sorry about that."
"I'll forgive you this time, but next time..." and I ran off, caught up the BYU guys and finished my run.

Frankly, or as Brant would say "frank", I am really liking just running barefoot anywhere I want. It's kind of liberating and freeing. Who knows what will happen when the snow comes. We'll deal with that obstacle when it comes. Run fearless.

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't even thought about snow!
    -Paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's an easy fix, you just run so fast that your feet never actually touch the ground. duh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. I hadn't even thought about that.

    ReplyDelete