08 October 2010

Barefoot Running: Is it safe?

I think so. Today I ran for 1 hour and 23 minutes. Next week I will run a half-marathon barefoot. I think it's like do anything hard and challenging--It's going to be painful when your first doing it and then it will get easier.

I'm not going to lie. Today I went up into a neighborhood without any sidewalks, forcing me to run on the asphalt which was old so it hurt. No blisters, just sensitive and sore feet.

I made two mistakes today and both a regret and one I'm embarrassed to share, but I'll share it anyways:
  1. I ate a hefty hot-dog for lunch and it came back to bite me when I was running. I didn't feel good and the run wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been.
  2. As I was running on the sidewalk 3 kids on bikes came from behind on the opposite side of the road. One yelled, "Put some shoes on!" Well, I regret to say I chose to be a little ticked by this and I turned around and yelled, "Why? Why?" The kid questioned back, "Why?" because he obviously didn't have an answer. I continued to attack him with my words, "Why should I? Tell me why? Don't you have an answer?" And they just rode off.
If I could go back I would have done things differently. I would have responded in a funny way instead of a mean way. I would have tried to respond more in a way that I could be friends with that kid instead of enemies. He probably hates me because I made him look dumb. If you're out there kid, I'm sorry.

Run fearless.

1 comment:

  1. and I thought you were going to say you wouldn't eat a hot dog for lunch! The Diana Lewis response is to smile and wave.

    ReplyDelete